Pages

Wednesday 20 February 2013

Grey sky... time to blog!

Hello ladies!

How the devil have you been?  Well, I hope?  And me?  Well, thank you for asking, I have been just fine.  Until today, the sun has been shining brightly and making it feel as though spring was peeking it's optimistic head around the corner.  But, today it's back to the classic British weather of grey skies, and classic Cambridge wind!  It is extremely flat around Cambridge, it is surrounded by an area called The Fens (drained of water way back in the day and now used for agriculture).  So, there are no hills to block the wind.

But, I digress.  The last few days have been spent moving into a lovely room, settling in, getting to know my fantastic house-mate, and doing a bit of job hunting.  All fun and games.  

Tonight, I will be going to the cinema to see  Beautiful Creatures.


I love a bit of the supernatural, and a love story to boot.  As you may have guessed, I shall be going with some of my female friends!  I'll let you know what it's like, although I have pretty bad taste in films so you may want to take anything I say with a pinch of salt (a large one).  

The last film I saw was Django Unchained.  Now that was quite different.  Being a Quentin Tarantino film, it had some great (dark) humour in it.  But, it also had some scenes that made me squeal like a girl and two scenes that simply made me cover my eyes and ears (if you've seen it you may know the ones I am talking about).  I'm a wimp, heck, I am queen of the wimps.  Before the film had even started they showed the trailer for a new horror film called Mama.  As Django Unchained is an 18 certificate, they showed the full trailer for Mama.  Seeing as though horror film trailers shown on TV make me turn off the sound and cover my eyes (yes, I really am that pathetic), you can only imagine how much I was trying to ignore the trailer when it was shown in all its glory!

The ironic thing is, that when I was younger (maybe 11/12) I would insist on watching these horrific horror movies with my brother.  He is older than me, and had a thing for all things dark and nasty, I was probably still playing with my Sylvanian Families.  However, we only saw each other now and then, and I wanted to impress him by watching the films (I think that must have been my motivation anyway).  I eventually realised the error of my ways after watching the film IT and being unable to ever look at clowns in the same way again.  But, before that, I have a vivid memory of watching Hellraiser with him and saying "Hello Mr Pin Head" to one of the characters every time he came on screen, he scared the bejesus out of me!  Needless to say, this annoyed my brother immensely...  Warning: click on links at your own risk, they freak me out.

Well, there you have it.  I had no idea that this was going to turn into an entry about just how much of a scaredy cat I am, but that's how the hobnob seems to have crumbled.  In my defence, I maintain that it is because of my vivid imagination that I am such a wimp.  I will literally imagine things coming to get me.  The fact that I am not a huge fan of the dark is probably a real shocker huh?

Ta ra for now!


4 comments:

  1. I saw Django Unchained too and although I'm usually as much of a 'wimp' as you, I didn't think Django Unchained was all that shocking. You didn't really see a lot of details, except explosions that involved a lot of blood and flesh-colored things. I did cover my eyes during the mandingo though. That was just horrible, couldn't watch it (especially the end of the fight). I guess too much detail freaks me out but when it comes to pink explosions I'm fine.

    I watched Saw and as much as I loved the concept, I could not bring myself to watch the sequels. Waaaaaay too morbid. Can't watch it.

    As for Hellraiser, kudos to you. Another something I can't watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the mandigo part and where that slave gets ripped apart by the dogs. Cringe! The rest was OK really, the amount of blood is almost comical, bullet to the head and 2 metre radius of blood splatter! Oooh, my housemate sent me out of the room for the truly nasty part of Saw, it's a clever concept but so damn horrid. Scary minds out there...

      Delete
  2. I do love to watch something a bit dark, but I'm not a massive fan of a screamy film. I love an old fashioned Hammer Horror, but they're more cheese than anything!

    Kate
    Just Pirouette and Carry On...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I've heard of those but never seen any. I just don't appreciate them enough for it to be worth it. Or I get disturbed by the characters. I do love a good action flick though! :)

      Delete