Pages

Thursday 14 February 2013

Happy Valentine's day

I'm not a big Valentine's day person, but the sentiment of showing someone you love how much they mean to you is a good thing.  So, I say, show it.  It doesn't have to be a lover, a partner or a spouse.  It could be a good friend, or someone that needs a little extra love right now.  It can be an overblown romantic gesture, with the cliché heart shaped box of chocolates, a meal for two at some overpriced restaurant (couples menu of course), or it could be a card, an extra cuddle and someone else doing the cooking for a change.  

As a single gal, it's pretty easy to be scathing about this day.  As a Brit, it feels like something that is growing in popularity and becoming bigger and more commercial every year, something that isn't truly "us" (although this may be the inner, deep down bitter singleton rearing her ugly head and not a universal opinion).  But, I'm going to take a step back and take it for what I want it to be.  I'm going to take this chance, via the glorious and impersonal internet, to tell my friends that I love them and feel very lucky to have them in my life, and my family that I love and appreciate them dearly.

In Korea, there are three days.  Yup, you read that right.  Three days.  Valentine's day is 14th February, and it is a day that the guys get spoilt by the girls.  They give them chocolate and make a fuss.  On 14th March, it is White day, the day where guys spoil the girls.  They give the girls sweets/candy (but not chocolate), and spoil them.  Korea is all about being in a couple, however they have provided a third day for the singletons that did not receive anything on those days, Black day.  This is on 14th April, the remaining, single, people go to a restaurant and eat jajangmyeon.  This is a dish of white noodles with a black bean sauce, it's tasty, and is an occasion where the single can celebrate being single (something that doesn't happen often in Korea).  Let me see if I can find a photo for you...

This has been borrowed, with no ill intent, from this blog.  If you take a look you will learn how to make the dish yourself.  You can buy these as instant noodles in Korea and Korean shops, although they are always that bit better in a restaurant.



So, whether you are loved up or young free and single, I wish you a lovely day. 


P.S.  As I was a teacher in Seoul this time last year, I was spoilt by my students, especially the kindergarten ones.  I spent the evening eating fried chicken with my amazing friend at Frypan in Hongdae.  Good times.

Gifts from my students last year.


x

13 comments:

  1. Oh yuuuum, your blog makes me so hungry! I love these posts, you're doing wonderfully! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.blogher.com/blogging-tip-how-remove-captcha-new-blogger - if you can, follow the tips on this link to remove the capcha thing - where you have to enter the code to leave a comment. It makes us all sad. I removed mine because people were having trouble commenting since they had to enter the code and it can be difficult to see! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think I have gotten rid of the word verification now, let me know! x

      Delete
  3. Thank you Nikki! I had no idea it was making people do that! I'll get rid of that later. I want to add you as a blog I follow, but it keeps changing it to inspire nordic which makes the link not work. Any ideas? Thank you so much for your support, best cousin ever x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know :( I'm so much happier with the new title for my blog but it seems to be causing a lot of problems :( Are you following it under 'inspire nordic'? what if you delete that and then try re-adding me? That's what Sabrina did and seemed to work... I have no idea and nobody on the help forum replied when i asked!

      Delete
    2. I seem to be able to follow you OK, just when I wanted to post the link to the blog it went weird. I love the new name too though, good idea :)

      Delete
  4. They call Valentine's Day for singles "Black Day"? Lol, well that's nice.

    Nice to know, though. One of those fun facts I can pass on to my family over dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love knowing random facts, I'll try and think of some more random Korean ones for dinner conversations :) Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  5. Hi, Abi!
    Those celebrations in Korea sound wonderful! It so yummy looking dish..I'm hungry now.
    Have a nice weekend and be happy!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you, hope you have a lovely weekend too :)

      Delete
  6. We Asian usually practice V day and White V day. I think it's interesting and unique for Korean to celebrate Black V day in such way. And it's good to see kids in Korea are showing some love on V day! Adorable! xx

    Renee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting to know, always interesting to know what is celebrated by more than one country, an what is unique.

      Thank you so much for your comment Renee, hope you have a lovely weekend.

      :)

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete